Pitt Island is named after William Pitt, Earl of Chatham and first recorded in 1807, the Moriori name for Pitt Island is Rangiauria.
Pitt Island lies 22 km to the southeast of Chatham Island.
It has a population of approximately 30 people and the main industry on the island is farming, fishing and evolving tourism.
Scenic Reserves occupy a major part of Pitt Island approximately 827 hectares which provides habitat for for various bird life.
Pitt Island is very rich in history and is often the highlight of visitors holiday to the Chatham Islands.